Candidates for LAP-BAND
To qualify for the LAP-BAND you must meet the following criteria:
- You’re at least 18 years old
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is at least 40 kg/m2 or a BMI of at least 30 kg/m2 with one or more obesity related co-morbid conditions. (Check your BMI here)
- Be willing and ready to make significant changes in eating habits
- Be willing have regular office visits to monitor your progress
- Not have any other condition that is untreated and contributing extra weight
- Not drink alcohol in excess
- Not pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant in the next few months
- Addicted to drugs or alcohol
- Any condition that makes you excessive risk for surgery—we can help determine this
- Have abnormal function of the esophagus or have had an operation in the upper stomach or lower esophagus that would be an excessive risk for complications
What can it do for me or why should I consider this option
Living with excessive weight can effect your overall health, limit your abilities, and shorten your life. The higher your weight and the longer you carry it causes the greatest problem.
There can be dramatic improvements in high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, cholesterol, heart burn and wear and tear of joints as well as other problems in those who have these conditions and excessive pounds to lose, even with 30-50 lbs over ideal weight. Results are variable but most people can expect significant improvement with adequate weight loss.
The Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band is the safest weight loss surgery available. It is performed by five small incisions as an outpatient procedure in most cases, is adjustable, and effective.
Next Topic: BMI Calculator